Sunday, January 20, 2013

Primal Protein Bars / Paleo Protein Bars

Today I made some Paleo Protein Bars / Primal Protein Bars based off the recipe on Mark Sisson's Blog.  I doubled all of the ingredients called for and made some changes.  WOW.  These were awesome.  I was tempted to eat the whole batch in a day.  Here is the basic recipe:
  • Toast 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of pecans in oven
  • Pulse almonds and pecans to a bread crumb texture
  • In a separate bowl add 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup almond butter
  • Then heat coconut oil and almond butter for 30 seconds in microwave
  • Add to liquid mixture 2 eggs, 2 tsp of vanilla extract, 1 tsp honey and some salt and mix
  • Add almond and pecan mix to liquid mix
  • Fold in 1/2 cup of almond meal (can be made by pulsing raw almonds)
  • Fold in 1 cup of chocolate protein powder (I used ON chocolate whey)
  • Fold in dried cranberries or blueberries or any other flavors you like (cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc.)
  • Press mixture into a loaf pan
  • Cook for 10-15 minutes at 325 degree (MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERCOOK- A GOOD AMOUNT OF OIL WILL RISE TO THE TOP - THAT IS GOOD)
  • Place in fridge and then cut into bars
The bars came out very good.  I plan on making a few changes next time I make them, such as adding another egg and possibly some other fruit (apples and bananas).  The bars were a bit crumbly and difficult to cut, but overall I would definitely recommend them.  Also I spent about 15-20 dollars and got around 25-30 bars out of it.  So well under one dollar a bar, which is much cheaper than any bars out there.

Here are pretty much all the ingredients I used:



Here are the almonds and pecans after toasted:



Almond butter and coconut oil mixture:


Complete Mixture:



Primal Protein Bars:




4 comments:

  1. These look pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Bars were excellent, they will be a staple of my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! Made the bars last night and had my fellow CrossFitters sampling them this morning at the gym. They loved them! Adding the extra egg (3 instead of 2) did make a difference and a must (o:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you thought of using Almond milk for these? I think it would help the taste and keep the bars fresh longer. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete