Sunday, January 20, 2013

Primal Pancakes (Banana Nut)

Today after running the Shamrock Run 5 mile race in Connecticut (more to come later), I was craving a hearty meal.  I decided to give paleo / primal pancakes a try as I had all the ingredients (except bananas, but conveniently I took a couple after the race).  I winged most of the recipe but here is what I did:
  • Mash 2 bananas
  • Add 1 or 2 eggs and mix together
  • Add a heaping tablespoon of almond butter
  • Pulse a hand full of almonds (can use pecans and walnuts too) and add to mixture
  • Add cinnamon to taste (can also add vanilla, honey, fruit)
  • OPTIONAL - add a scoop of protein powder - use another egg if you do this
  • Throw some butter on a frying pan and pour in pancake mix (don't make them too large, they may be hard to flip)
  • Top with butter, cinnamon or any other topping you choose
Overall they came out really good.  I was a bit nervous about how they would taste, as they did not look real appetizing.  I also didn't pulse the nuts all the way so there were some big chunks of nuts in the pancakes.  However, I couldn't be happier with them.  They almost have a banana bread taste to them, but with the texture of pancakes.  Here are some pics:









2 comments:

  1. Those look amazing. For now, I'm avoiding nuts, but when I start eating them again, I'm going to make these pancakes :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Juliana. They were very good, next time I am going to try them with blueberries or strawberries.

    Any particular reason for avoiding nuts?

    ReplyDelete