Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Garmin Forerunner 305

I have been meaning to review the Garmin Forerunner 305 watch.  I've been using the watch for about one year, and I must say I can't imagine running without it.  It is by far my favorite running gadget.


About:
(From Garmin) Form meets function with Garmin's next-generation, sleek and stylish line of personal trainers - the Forerunner 305. Don't let its good look fool you. This taskmaster will continually push you to do your personal best. The Forerunner 305 combines all of the popular features found in the 301 along with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, new courses feature, and robust wireless heart rate monitor for optimal performance. Designed for athletes of all levels, this running partner and personal trainer has one goal in mind - a better you. It continuously monitors your heart rate, speed, distance, pace and calories burned so you can train smarter, more effectively. It tracks your every move with a super-sensitive GPS that even works on tree-covered trails 
and near tall buildings


Pros:
  • Easy to use
  • Large display
  • Easy integration with a PC
  • Can sync to running sites like Daily Mile or Map My Run
  • Accurate distance measuring, altitude and pace calculation
  • Measures heart rate and calories burned
  • Ability to use while running, biking or swimming
  • User customizable display
  • Automatic training logs
  • Ability to set up training programs
  • Can charge over USB or outlet
  • Tons of options
Cons:
  • Large and bulky on wrist
  • Sometimes a bit slow picking up a satellite connection
Overall:
I highly recommend this watch to any serious or casual runner.  Next time your at a race look around you and see how many people have this watch.  I swear I've been at races where almost 50% of the people have this watch.  Garmin must be doing something right. You can purchase the watch for around $125 on Amazon, which is definitely worth it.  It is a great way to track your pace, do speed, interval and track work, and measure long distance runs.  It also tracks stats such as heart rate and calories burned.  There are a ton of features that I haven't even tapped in to as well.  As mentioned above, the only bad thing I can say about the watch is its size, which isn't a problem for me.  I actually like the large screen.  If you think size might be an issue, and money is not an issue for you, you may want to consider the Garmin Forerunner 405, which is much smaller.  Overall grade would be an A.


2 comments:

  1. hey Dom - do you have to wear the heart rate monitor belt? I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've actually never even used the heart rate monitor. You only need the belt if you want to measure your heart rate, but everything else (distance, time, pace, calories) works without the belt.

    ReplyDelete